top of page


Below is a timeline of the events surrounding Mary’s misadventure.

February 22, 2013

Friday, March 21, 2013

Saturday, March 22, 2013

Saturday, March 22, 2013

Monday, March 24, 2013

Tuesday, March 25, 2013

Wednesday, March 26, 2013

Thursday, March 27, 2013

Friday, March 28, 2013

Saturday, March 29, 2013

Sunday, March 30, 2013

March 29 - April 12, 2013

Mary,  attending George Fox University, posts on Facebook: "Jonesing for some mountain time riiiight now." Several of her Pacific Crest Trail hiking buddies of 2010 respond that they would love to join her but are otherwise engaged.

The last day of school before spring break, Mary stops by Bruce's office at G.F.U. and shares her plans for the coming week. She promises him she will not attempt to climb Mount Hood alone, thinking she'll be climbing with a guided group.

Having learned Friday evening that the group climb is off, Mary decides to climb Mount Hood anyway. She takes off early in the morning for Mount St. Helen, WA, to test herself. Later, she heads up to Mount Hood, parks, and sleeps in the truck.

Mary sleeps until 10:30 AM. She registers at the lodge then begins her ascent. Clouds roll in; she keeps on going; she's in a white-out; finally, it's gotten dark; then there's a sheer rock cliff face. She can't climb anymore, so begins a descent.

Mary's descent ends when she falls forty feet trying to get off the snow over the river and out of the narrow canyon she is in. She realizes she's injured and must stay put, also that she may die. She makes a "final" video-recording for us on her phone.

Beth, one of Mary's friends and fellow students, messages her on Facebook wondering, "what's up? Haven't heard from you." They were supposed to meet up by Monday. But Mary's trained her friends that she's spontaneous and not to worry.

Izzy, a friend and roommate of Mary's, is also becoming "officially worried." She's had a dream, and in it Mary was severely injured and was in a hospital. And no one's heard anything from Mary since an email sent on Saturday.

Izzy and Beth still haven't heard from Mary, so Izzy calls Mary's parents to see if they know where she is. More friends and family are contacted. No one has heard or knows where she is. Bruce files a missing person report with the Newberg police.

The truck Mary borrowed is found at Timberline parking lot on Mount Hood. Search and Rescue is brought into the search. A few teams go out searching on foot and a fixed wing plane is sent up. Mary is not found. Many, Many people are praying.

SAR organizes to search Mount Hood. On a preliminary flight a National Guard helicopter crew follows tracks from the summit of Mount Hood directly to Mary. She is hoisted out of the canyon and flown to Legacy Emanuel Hospital.

It is Easter morning. Mary is interviewed by the media. Mary's family celebrates both Jesus' and Mary's resurrection. Friends and family, and many others, everywhere send up prayers of gratitude to God and breath a collective sigh of relief.

Mary is in the hospital thirteen days to treat the frostbite in her fingers and toes, the infection in a deep eight inch gash in her left inner thigh, and an immobile, nerve-damaged right foot and ankle. After six surgeries she is released to go home.

bottom of page